December 25, 2009

- Christmas Reflections -


Christmas's origin was put a little differently for me this year than it has been in years past. Instead of reading out of the scriptures, Mom read to us excerpts from a unique story of Mary and Joseph. Like I said, the story was not read from the scriptures, but from a book. A book whose author- using her incredible knowledge of both history and scripture- wrote a detailed simulation of what Mary and Josephs life, love, and travel to Bethlehem could have been like.

Even though it was the view of one lady, of how their lives could have been, it was so interesting and made me think about things I never have. Like- the love Joseph and Mary shared for each other. The feelings of inadequacy Joseph must have felt- not being able to find a midwife to assist his dear sweet wife with childbirth, and not being able to find a place for that same dear sweet wife and soon-to-be newborn child to rest in peace and comfort. The feelings of Mary when her mother didn't believe she was the virgin meant to bear Christ, the son of God, and the feelings of Mary's mother when she realized she had been wrong, but Mary was gone to Bethlehem, and too far away to ask forgiveness.

It's impossible for me to fathom the amount of purity and faith Mary and Joseph must have had in order to be and feel worthy enough to overcome their hardships and receive the blessing of bringing into this world the greatest gift ever given- Jesus Christ, the Savior of all the world.

I stand all amazed.

I love Christmas. I get so caught up in the world and in my own life that far too often I forget to think about and be grateful for Christ. I'm so thankful we have a season meant specifically for the remembrance and celebration of Him. And I'm also thankful for Mary and Joseph, the young couple who stayed strong, faithful, worthy and pure enough to receive him.

No comments:

Post a Comment