July 12, 2010

- Maybe You Had To Be There -

So I've been looking through Megan's blog posts from last summer trying to find a certain experience they had, one in which they went to a complete strangers wedding brunch. And although, I couldn't find it.. I did, once again, realize how ridiculous [in every way possible] last summer had been. Just read down Megan's May/June/July 2009 [she blogged better than me while we were out there] and you'll see what I mean.

Anyways, the reason I was trying to find her story of the uncomfortable get together was because I had, in my opinion, a quite similar experience on Sunday.

When I was in elementary school, we spent one summer at my great aunt's empty rock house in Huntsville, Ut. While staying there- we ran around in the fields, slept in the hay barn, went to the cabin, rode our bikes, etc.. and also became friends with the Johnson's.

The Johnson's:
Levi, 2 years older than me.
Isaac, 1 year older than me.
Annie, my age.
And Cooper, 4ish years younger than me.

Long story short, I had a rather embarrassing school girl crush on Isaac. And to this day, I remember it well enough. Which means... He probably does too. That's normal, right? Happens to every girl. Usually they lose touch, grow up and never seen each other again.

Well, Isaac got home from his mission last Tuesday. So, my dad and I went to his homecoming. It seemed like an okay idea when we were still a 45 minute drive away from the reunion but, upon arriving at his church, I did not want to go anymore. Not only is that just.. so awkward.. but, Isaac is ambitious, intimidating.. attractive, and me? What have I done with my life?.. Exactly.

We sat in the hall because there were no remaining seats in the chapel. As soon as the meeting was over, I suggested we go visit an aunt nearby and/or go up to the farm to move sprinkler pipes. So.. I was basically screaming "Let's not go to his house! Anything but that!" And where do we end up? Waiting in front of Isaac's house, before anyone else has arrived.

This happens because A) we left the meeting early, during the song instead of after the prayer, so we could 'beat the traffic', B) dad wanted to get to the Johnson's before grandma and grandpa left, since they are why our families even know each other exists, and C) because my brother, Jake, had borrowed a few horse training manuals from the Johnson's and never gave them back- therefore leaving them to us to return.

You know that feeling you get when you go to something you shouldn't have gone to because A) you were invited by someone who didn't have the right to invite you or B) you weren't invited at all? Yeaaaahh..

Keep that feeling in mind:

We walked over to the gathering of strangers, dad talked to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson and we ate food [like party crashers usually do]. At some point while we were there, I was re-introduced to Isaac's little brother, currently 16, who had forgotten my name, and to Isaac. Why I asked the question "Do you remember who I am?", I'll never know. Because I just really really don't want him to remember who I am. AHH.

I should have never gone. The experience is a 10 on the scale of miserable, uncomfortable, summer experiences.

1 comment: