Usually this tiny, frail Vietnamese lady comes into Curves while I'm working. Her name is To. Pronounced "toe". Well, that's how I pronounce it anyways... Ha. Who REALLY knows, right? Just kidding.
Anyways, I'm getting better at understanding her but she has this tremendous accent that is so hard to interpret most of the time, so I usually just nod and say "Oh yeah!" really enthusiastically. It took 2 or 3 conversations about her blood pressure before I realized that's what we were even talking about. It sounded like she was saying "block pusher"- and for all I know that could have been a real thing! .. Maybe. Ha.
At the beginning of this week when I asked her how her weekend was she proceeded to tell me about how she went to a big building around Provo with lots of animals inside. My first thought was that it was Cabelas, definitely Cabelas. So, I asked her.
"Was it called Cabelas?" She paused and looked at me so confused, said "no, no, no..", then started telling me how there were fish inside. "Oh yeah! Were there fishing poles?" Same amount of confusion- "no, no..". I continued to ask her if it was even a store, if there were camping supplies, clothes, etc. Turns out- yep- she bought a coat there. So, I asked her again "Was it called Cabelas?" and she said "No, I find out for you."
Okay, okay.
A morning or two later, having completely forgotten about the conversation- I'm in the circuit talking with all the ladies and To comes in. Upon greeting her she says "here- something for you", reaches into her pocket and pulls out a tiny scrap of paper and hands it to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment