March 25, 2010

- March 16 2010 -

DAY FOUR

[Sorry It's taking me so long to post all the days--- I just really hate sitting here on my laptop forever.]






It was the last morning at the cabin so after finding Macky a shell to take home- we cleaned up and took off towards Seattle.


Farewell wonderful cabin! P.s. We had to haul those carts up an extremely steep road to our car in the upper parking lot. ..Hmm.. Yeah- can't really think of anything fun about that.

On our way back down the hill with the carts there was a couple walking up the road and the man was carrying the baby and the woman was hauling the cart. What a considerate husband.. ha.

On our way off the island we stopped at Haggen's grocery store for donuts [on my last post I'll tell you how many donuts we ate over the trip- oh I could throw up thinking about it]. They had the yummest selection I ever did see!

^MMMmmyumyumyumyumyumyum.

Checking into the Seattle hotel was a little bit of a struggle. Turns out you can't check-in unless you're 21. Which none of us are. SO-- that was frightening. But after a chat with Carly's dad they let us in. And gave us free parking! (: Which was GREAT since it's $10 per night.

Basically the only other thing we did after that was go on the underground tour- and it was REALLY COOL. I highly recommend it. Do you know what it is? I'll tell you:

Back in 1889 the whole city of Seattle burned down. The town took this as an opportunity to install a new and better sewer system, so they told the merchants they had to wait 10 years [until it was done] before they could build their shops back.

[Side note: The original sewer system ran above ground- and whether you could flush the toilet depended on whether the ocean was experiencing high tide or low tide. If you flushed during high tide- sewage would explode all over you. You can see why they needed a new system.]


The people were upset with this becuase the only reason they were there was to make money- and without shops for 10 years they couldn't do that. So, they built their shops anyways [out of stone this time- not wood]. The city still wanted to go along with their plans to build an underground sewage system- so they built the road around 15 (?) feet up and put it inside. [F.Y.I. I don't think that's the only reason. I also read it was to prevent another fire and prevent flooding from the bay.]

So how that worked was the original 1st floor of the buildings and sidewalks were now under ground and there were either ladders leading up to the road or walkways from the street to the second floor. Pretty neat. I guess for a long while people still used the underground sidewalk areas and often times there'd be way sketchy business going on and crooks would board up the skylights no one could see down. Scandalous!

Umm- yup so that is what the underground tour was. We went through the underground on the original sidewalks and saw the underneath of the original buildings around pioneer square. It was really neat.

^ I don't know why we didn't take more pictures of the tour. All we have is one of us before it and one of an original toilet. HA. Oh well..

Oh also something that happened was- at one point the tour guide turned to us and asked us what we were doing that night and we said we didn't know then she was like-

"Do you have grownups with you?"

and I said

"What? We are grownups."

And to this day- I'm still so mad that she was mocking us- especially since she, herself, was a newly wed school teacher who was probably at oldest age 26. AHH. Ridiculous.

Below = Crab Pot for dinner = Clam Chowder :D


We were going to go to Alice In Wonderland 3D Imax that night but couldn't because we didn't officially have our city passes yet- so we stayed at the hotel and watched 90210 instead. Which was better anyway- NO DOUBT.

The end.. and I don't know if I'll ever post about the last few days so maybe just.. pray that I do. (: ... ha.

4 comments:

  1. um i think that the longer you're friends with someone the more you look like them....mackenzie looks a lot like kerri in a few of these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a blast for your spring break! Good luck with the rest of your semester and blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy you have to post about the other days. do it during general conference. that'll give you something to do. and also 90210 is NOT better than alice in wonderland.

    p.p.s the pow wow at my school had the same tribes so im positive that boy was there. and i couldn't even go. im almost depressed about it now. not really. but im so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh i get that all the time. people will ask me why im not in school during the day... um maybe because im 21 and MARRIED! hah! oh well we will look young when they are all old hags.

    and ps loveee your blog.

    ReplyDelete